Redshift Forum >> Miscellaneous >> Constellation Names -Sevice Pack 1

Constellation Names -Sevice Pack 1 - 25.12.2009 00:07

keppler

1 Post

keppler

Send message
I have the Compact version and went to download the free dictionary.
After downloading the file I ran it and the dictionary was installed but it also downloaded a software update - "service pack 1"
When Redshift opened up my view had changed, for the worse :
1) The outlines of constellations are only visible with Atmosphere effects turned on and can hardly be seen.
2) The constellation names had changed from their proper names to english names.
3) The Horizontal guide is also hardly visible.

I don't want Pisces to be called Fishes because all the reference texts I read call the constellations by their original name. How will I know, for example, which one is the whale unless I'm fluent in ancient Greek or Latin ??
I would also like to see the shapes more clearly.

Is there a setting to changes the names back and make the guide lines easier to see ?
Constellation Names -Sevice Pack 1 - 05.01.2010 17:56

Peter

68 Posts

Peter

Send message
Hi Keppler,

sorry to hear that things changed for the worse with your Redshift Compact.

- The bad visibility of lines is probably due to the Anti-Aliasing we're now using to smoothen the line drawing. I already have a request running whether there's a possibility to switch them off, so I'll let you know if I get an answer.

Anyway, they're still easy to see on my screen with the anti-aliasing on, although slightly darker than they used to be. I suspect your screen is set too dark to display dim features anyway. Please try to adjust screen brightness, or, if that is not satisfactory, try the "gamma correction" in your graphics card settings.

Some charts for aiding the rough calibration of your screen can be found here: http://www.displaycalibration.com/

- Concerning the constellation names: I don't have the Compact version at hand right now, but I do remember it does not contain the option to set that yourself. I think we can provide you with a new version of the "default workspace", which then contains your preferred constellation language setting. Just to make sure: Which language would you like to have then?

Best regards,
Peter

Search
Astronomy Software

Solar Eclipse by Redshift

Solar Eclipse by Redshift for iOS

Observe, understand, and marvel at the solar eclipse on August 21, 2017! » more

Solar Eclipse by Redshift

Solar Eclipse by Redshift for Android

Observe, understand, and marvel at the solar eclipse on August 21, 2017! » more