Redshift Forum >> Miscellaneous >> Finding two asteroid conjunctions.

Finding two asteroid conjunctions. - 12.09.2009 05:41

dalter

2 Posts

dalter

Send message
This is a neat problem to verify and far outside my level of competence.

There are two possible asteroid conjunctions at two very precise time/dates.

The first just occurred on July 16, 2009 at 16: 30:09, exactly 15 sidereal Earth years after the first piece Shoemaker-Levy struck Jupiter. This conjunction exactly overlays the 9 o'clock axis of our astronomers North heliocentric view of our solar system. The Left Horizontal axis.

Euphrosyne was the outer and largest of this conjunction pair, the second was Argentina.
My Redshift 5 shows them to be within 564 milliseconds of arc. However, an astronomer at the University of Washington in Seattle says his planetarium program based upon the Us Naval Observatory shows a very large difference = to about half the size of the Full Moon.

Big discrepancy. It is crucial, nay that this discrepancy be resolved quickly.

For actual conjunction to occur can only mean these two or another two were Moved into the above precise conjunction, and that could not be us.

Second Conjunction: Exactly three sidereal Earth years later on July 16, 2012 at 10: 37:35.52 at our 12 on the clock. The Vertical Axis of our clock. We turn into a pumpkin. Hestia is the outer and Aquitania is the inner. They are less than 5 arc minutes apart on my Redshit5.

Again astronomer says way off.

Again, I repeat, for these two conjunctions to actually occur, someones had to move the asteroids into conjunction. That would not be us.

By the way both pairs come from a group of 65 asteroids starting with Euphrosyne as the largest and include the next 64 largest asteroids.

Question; who can determine the smallest of the group of 65?

Finally, I doubt that people are actually checking these asteroid positions frequently. They were all discovered over a hundred years ago and have stable orbits.

2nd Question: Who does the checking and how often?

I await your comments and replies.

Dan Alter

Search
Astronomy Software

Solar Eclipse by Redshift

Solar Eclipse by Redshift for iOS

Observe, understand, and marvel at the solar eclipse on August 21, 2017! » more

Solar Eclipse by Redshift

Solar Eclipse by Redshift for Android

Observe, understand, and marvel at the solar eclipse on August 21, 2017! » more